• Flange insulation kits are the most widely used form of controlling losses due to corrosion. They can be used to control stray electric currents in piping at oil, gas, water, refinery and chemical plants and increase the effectiveness of cathodic protection systems and confine or eliminate electrolytic corrosion.
• Most common components are a gasket, sleeves for bolt protection, and washers for nut protection. The variety of component materials is dependent upon application.
Type “E” Full Face
• Type “E” gaskets have the same outside diameter as the flange offering full protection. This will prevent the collection of foreign matter between the flange faces and insures complete cathodic isolation. A wide variety of materials are available to suit the requirements.
Type “F” Raised Face
• Type “F” gaskets are made to fit inside the bolt circle and cover the raised face portion. It is recommended that a dirt guard be used to prevent foreign matter from shorting out the flanges. The flanges can also be wrapped. A wide variety of materials are available to suit the requirements.
Type “D” Ring Type Joint
• Type “D” or RTJ gaskets are made to fit the ring groove on ring type joint flanges.
• Usually manufactured from phenolic based materials, however customer requirements can be met.
• It is recommended that the flanges be wrapped or a dirt guard be used to prevent foreign material from shorting out the flanges.